What is H.R.1/S.1, the For The People Act?
What does it say about Clean and Fair Elections?
- Improve Access – H.R. 1 will create automatic and same-day voter registration across the country; re-enfranchise former felons; expand early voting and simplify absentee voting; and modernize the U.S. voting system.
- Restores the Voting Rights Act
- Ends Gerrymandering – H.R. 1 will prevent politicians from picking their voters
- Promote Integrity – H.R. 1 prohibits voter roll purges
- Ensure Security – H.R. 1 enhances federal support for voting system security, especially paper ballots, increasing oversight over election vendors, and developing a national strategy to protect democratic institutions.
How does it end the dominance of BIG $ in our political institutions?
- Guarantee Disclosure – H.R. 1 shines a light on dark money in politics by upgrading online political ad disclosure and requiring all organizations involved in political activity to disclose their large donors. H.R. 1 also breaks the so-called ‘nesting-doll’ sham that allows big-money contributors and special interests to hide the true funding source of their political spending.
- Empower Citizens – H.R. 1 gives political power to everyday Americans, creating a multiple matching system for small donations, thereby allowing the American people to exercise their due influence in our politics. This will break special interests’ stranglehold on Congress and lay the groundwork for an agenda that serves the American people. H.R. 1 also pushes back on the Citizens United and Buckley decisions by the Supreme Court.
- Strengthen Oversight – H.R. 1 tightens rules on super PACs and restructures the FEC to break the gridlock and enhance its enforcement mechanisms. It also repeals Mitch McConnell’s riders that prevent government agencies from requiring common sense disclosure of political spending.
How does it ensure public officials work for the public interest?
- Fortify Ethics Law – H.R. 1 expands conflict of interest law and divestment requirements, slowing the revolving door, preventing Members of Congress from serving on corporate boards and requiring presidents to disclose their tax returns.
- Impose Greater Ethics Enforcement – H.R. 1 overhauls the Office of Government Ethics, closing loopholes for lobbyists and foreign agents, ensuring watchdogs have sufficient resources to enforce the law and creating a code of ethics for the Supreme Court.
Who runs Un-PAC?
Where does my money go?
90% of your donation will go directly towards youth organizing efforts. The final 10% is used on operations.
Un-PAC Action is a federal 501(c)4 (a political nonprofit) that funds youth organizing efforts working to increase awareness and provide pressure on elected leaders to support American democracy reform, specifically the upcoming legislation, the For The People Act.
Is my donation secure?
Any and all sensitive information is tokenized and transmitted over encrypted tunnels. We use the same system trusted by organizations like Robinhood, Acorns, Betterment, Wealthfront, AmericanExpress, and Venmo. We’ve got you covered.
Do you charge any fees?
Is my contribution tax deductible?
Who can donate to Un-PAC?
How else can I support Un-PAC?
Share the campaign on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, email and text your friends, and tell your neighbors! Use the hashtag #UnPAC when you share on social media.